Could any character have a more bland reputation than Steve Trevor? Lyle Waggoner will do that to you. It's the same reason my agent won't let Casper Van Diehn play me in "Sword of the Absorbascon: the Movie".
But it's undeserved, I tell you. Leaving aside Steve's ability to succesfully pull off outfits that even I, enlightened old P Street gay radical that I am, can describe in no other way than "faintworthily faggy", Steve is one of comics' greatest proponents of More Picturesque Speech. While you won't find him spouting Starman-villain-level oration, Steve is the unacknowledged master of the Expressive Exclamation.
- "Great Hounds of Hades!'
- "You poisonous snake!"
- "They'd have crushed me like a lemon squash!"
- "Say, that speed boat is headed straight for me!"
- "Great calamity kittens!"
- "Here's to *hic* bee-eeyutiful women!"
- "Black Horrors of Hades!"
- "Jittering junebugs!"
- "This smoke is frightful!"
- "Great gadzooks!"
- "By the great horn spoon!"
- "Great cannabalistic catfish!"
- "Great Caesar's ghost!" (Yes-- that's who Perry stole it from.)
- "By the nibbling Niagara!"
I have been practicing saying "By the nibbling Niagara!" in the mirror for 30 minutes now, but haven't succeeded in finishing the phrase without laughing yet...