Thursday, August 30, 2007

Things That Made Me Happy...

in my comics this week.

  • Eric Powell's drawings of Superman in Action. Superman hasn't looked that normally sized -- and yet more masculine -- since the Golden Age.
  • Zatanna's Talking Gate.
  • Someone's kidnapping the Justice League members? Okay, that's excellent.
  • The Forerunner's origin was much more interesting than I would have anticipated.
  • Four Horsemen was also better than I would have expected, and I'm delighted to see something done with Veronica Cale.
  • Poor Megan. She really is alien, isn't she?
  • I... I've never really seen anyone throw an airplane before.
  • Bizarro vision? Brilliant.
  • Driving with Bart.
  • I was right about Athena. I know my gods, people.
  • The dirty, stinking Rannies firing Adam Strange. In public. Priceless. And so very typical. Dirty, stinking Rannies.
  • I glad somebody remembers what Buddy Baker's real job is.
  • Hey, Lobo body-shaves; hot!!!
  • Eddy Barrows, your drawing of Cliff Baker's face during the final hug is one of the great masterpieces of comic book art.
  • "Mr. Wayne, are you hurt?" I want more scenes like that and fewer of heroes using first names in costume.
  • So, is Everyman, like, the new Clayface?
  • Even for Geoff Johns, that's a heck of cliffhanger.
  • Jimmy's sunburn.
  • Adam Strange's buddy, whose life expectancy, I'm betting, is comparable to that of Jessica Fletcher's friends.
  • How obviously BAD Wolfman's part of Teen Titans No. 50 is. Perhaps, now that it's right beside modern Titans, some more people will be able to see it!
  • Now THAT is Deus Ex Machina, just as it should be.
  • I note that Robin was written much more appropriately--and politely-- by John Rogers in Blue Beetle than he was in Titans in the scene that appeared in both. I hope DC notices it, too...
  • These Four Horseman are a lot scarier now than they were as big tinkertoys, huh?
  • Picking up Connor from school.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never understood why Jessica Fletcher had any friends. She was a harbinger of death who brought misery and misfortune wherever she went. You'd figure after awhile people would clue in and beat her away with sticks, treating her like the pariah she really was.

I'm sorry, that was a tangent.

I, too, loved the look on Cliff Baker's face.

Baal said...

There was a spoof of that in one of Virgin Doctor Who books where it was finally discovered the Fletcher character was actually causing the murders to happen with some kind of latent telepathy. Funny stuff.

Greg said...

scipio wrote:
"I want more scenes like that and fewer of heroes using first names in costume."

The use of true names of super heroes while in costume while in public is just another example, as far as I'm concerned, of how foisting real-world conventions upon a fantasy world just makes the real-world elements sillier than the fantastic elements they are replacing.

Going along with that, let's have less moments where one hero volunteers to, or orders another hero to, "take point." That grates on me like the neck crack cocky/evil characters do in movies before they "tear it up." Last time I looked, few members of any super-hero team was ever in the military, especially in the DCU, let alone in a ground-force unit where "point" has some relevance.

In either of the mainstream comic companies universes, both of which are as grounded in "science fantasy" as Star Wars, nothing reads sillier than Batman ordering, "Kent, Diana, you two take point."

Paul S. said...

I can't believe you didn't include the most amusing part of the week. Dr. Ivo Jr's Androids.

Anonymous said...

The healthiest moonshine ever was featured in Batman Annual #11.

Anonymous said...

I never understood why Jessica Fletcher had any friends. She was a harbinger of death who brought misery and misfortune wherever she went. You'd figure after awhile people would clue in and beat her away with sticks, treating her like the pariah she really was.

Alas, some people just don't get it, though. That's why people still live in the Hurricane Belt.

That's the Spirit said...

I also loved Four Horsemen. I liked the interaction between Bruce and Clark, and the way they were drawn.

Nate said...

no one else felt ripped off by the deju vu pages in titans?

Derek said...

I did.

I guess they figure that not everyone reading Teen Titans is reading Blue Beetle?

But if it gets some more people reading Blue Beetle, I'm not complaining. That book is not doing as well as it deserves to.

Anonymous said...

The dirty, stinking Rannies firing Adam Strange. In public. Priceless. And so very typical.

Hmmm...wasn't John Carter nearly executed for blasphemy by the Martians once?

Maybe Earthmen need to rethink this "Travel by zeta beam to a distant world and become their hero" thing...

MaGnUs said...

Damn Rannians!!!! And why does Cliff Baker looks younger than he should?

Me, I'm just happy to see more Animal Man.

MaGnUs said...

Oh, and I totally hated Action Comics this week, they're bringing in the zaniness of the Silver Age bit by bit... and not in a good way... Bizarro world? Please...

Anonymous said...

"I can't believe you didn't include the most amusing part of the week. Dr. Ivo Jr's Androids."

That entire page was golden. (Man, was that just one page? Because it felt like an entire year's worth of comics fun.)

Way to make me miss "Impulse", DC.