Saturday, December 09, 2006

Comix Collage

Today I'd like to introduce my friend, Steven Yau, of New York City. Steven is an artist who creates character-focused collages from old comic books.

Once you get over the sacrilege of cutting up old comics (just assume they were badly damaged), you can appreciate his work!

Actually, you do more than just appreciate it; you can buy it at his Etsy Comix site.

Here, for example, is one of Spiderman.


Why someone would want one of him, I cannot imagine, but there are other ones, too; ones with good characters like Batman or Superman. And the price is quite reasonable.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

THERE WAS A GUY SOME YEARS AGO WHO MADE CUT UP GOLDEN AGE COMIC COVERS IN 3-D.
HE ACHIEVED THE 3D EFFECT BY LAYERING THE VARIOUS COVER IMAGE COMPONENTS - SO HE DESTROYED MULTIPLE COPIES OF THE COVERS HE '3D-ED'.
ANYONE REMEMBER HIS NAME OR KNOW OF A SITE I CAN LOOK AT THE RESULTS OF HIS WORK? IT MUST HAVE BEEN OK - TO JUSTIFY THE CUTTING UP OF OLD GOLDEN AGE CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you could condense a whole comic into a collage like that and still tell the whole story and have it make sense. It looks like you could, if it was a simple enough story.

Anonymous said...

" It looks like you could, if it was a simple enough story. "

Well yeah, it was a Marvel comic.
tee hee.

Scipio said...

See, now, I expended GREAT energy to NOT make that comment...!

Anonymous said...

I think I might have seen his stuff in a gallery in West Chelsea. I think it was Summer of 2005.

AS for making collages out of Golden Age comics. If it was made during the 40's or 50's the comics would have been seen to have little monetary value. My father thought nothing of mutilating or trading his comics, or of throwing them out once he reached a mature age.

And that's why I went to a state college.

Bubblegum Tate said...

My wife is a recovering sorority girl, so for those familiar with the Greek system, this is a lap board. She made this for me from several back issues of Wizard (finally, a use for them!!) and when we weren't even married yet (she really indulges my nerdery).

Also, bonus for Scip, she made it from one of the good company's characters!

If there's a way to embed this photo, I don't know what it is. Sorry!

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p196/BubblegumTate/BatmanLapBoard.jpg

Tony said...

Don't worry about those Batman comics -- it's the Az-Bat.