Sunday, July 30, 2006

Reasons to read "Manhunter" #14

In issue #14 of Manhunter, Kate's old friend, Cameron Chase, begins an, um, "interesting" relationship with Kate's technical assistant, Dylan, who also acquires a new roommate, Mark Shaw, one of the previous Manhunters.

The most enjoyable comics -- or, television shows, for that matter -- are ensemble efforts, rather than solo performances. I've often felt that one of the things holding back the popularity of characters like post-Crisis Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash, and the Green Lantern(s) is the continual turnover of their supporting casts.

Not that those characters are unpopular! But not like Batman and Superman, who've enjoyed comparative stability in their supporting casts for 60+ years.

One of literary devices that helps cement an ensemble cast, even one built around a central player, is the fact that the cast have relationship not only with the central player, but with one another.

Manhunter's supporting cast, one by one, develop relationship of various types with one another. That's one reason that I recommend that you...

Buy Manhunter.

9 comments:

Brandon Bragg said...

You've finally gotten through to me. I read the last couple of issues and very much enjoyed the story and art. I bought all the back issues yesterday. I've added Manhunter to my buy pile. If I had any children they'd be going without their allowances this week. My hypothetical kids are so hating you right now.

Scipio said...

You can also buy them the second Manhunter trade that DC is coming out with...

Anonymous said...

Most normal people can readily name Batman's supporting cast, but I doubt ANY normal person (comic readers ommitted) can name 1 member of Aquaman's supporting cast!

J'onn J'onzz, Martian Manhunter said...

Toppo.

Anonymous said...

Damn! I forgot to say people who read this site too!

Steven said...

I'm pretty sure anyone who watched the old Aquaman cartoon remembers Aqualad at the very least, and Queen Mera on a good day.

There's another Manhunter trade coming out? Suh-weet! When?

The Doc said...

Scipio, just letting you know that your tireless efforts promoting Manhunter have led to another reader. I've been surrounded by "Read Manhunter" posts from you and the Manhunter Challenge from the Raging Bullets crew, and I'm sold. Consider me one more member in the "Save Manhunter" army.

Scipio said...

Thanks, Doc. Knowing that DOES help!

Henry said...

So, I don't actually suppose this may have success.
museums NYC | Bowmanville real estate | online reading games