- Blue Beetle outwitting an enemy in classic comic book style.
- Blue Beetle outwitting a different enemy with very out of the box thinking, inspired by Ted Kord.
- The continuance use of and development of Blue Beetle's supporting cast, particular that hunky kid who drives what appears to be television's Batmobile and Jaime's dad, who made me cry (and will make you cry, too).
- The tenderness of Darkseid, and its results (Countdown).
- FINALLY, gods that act like gods instead of middle school guidance counselors (WW).
- I don't know which was more beautiful in Justice Society Classified: the artist's skillful balance of detailed background with more abstract foreground or the writer's skillful conveying a simple overall message with detailed character moments.
- Zatanna does cruise ships? Of course, she does (Countdown).
- Sinestro's ingeniously evil method of "defeating" his successor on Korugar (GLC).
- Hey, Green Arrow's becoming a hero in Green Arrow: Year One. Who knew? He turned a huge corner for me when he found dead bodies in a well and his first thought wasn't, "Damn! Corpses in my water!" but rather, "Who did this to these people?"
- Superman still knows how to make an entrance (Teen Titans).
- The things that made me happy in IDW's first issue of Star Trek: Year Four are enough to merit a separate post.
- Wonder Woman straddling a nuclear missile in flight (WW); nothing says "more fun comics" than Wonder Woman straddling a nuclear missile in flight.
Sunday, July 29, 2007
Things That Made Me Happy...
in my comics this week.