Tuesday, April 26, 2005

"I guess ... I'll never know..."

Nobody has guessed the last Stupid Hero Quote I posted, so I'll pose another in the meantime.

We've talked a lot about villains' virtues, but never about hero's virtues. Whatever they are, modesty is clearly not among them for this mystery hero:

"Anyway, I'm always afraid girls don't love me for myself ... are merely dazzled by my fame and super-powers. I wonder how it would feel to be really loved for--myself??! I guess ... I'll never know..."

Who is this hero, crippled by Marvelesque angst over the burdens of his abilities?

2 comments:

Jer said...

That SOUNDS like it might have come from Superman, maybe in the early 70's? His love interests were always after him because he was SUPERMAN, which led to a certain amount of angst as I recall.

Scipio said...

Bingo! November 1963,actually. Red kryptonite gives Clark the opportunity to live and fall in love as a normal man with....

Sally Selwyn.

Heh; bet you were expecting an LL, weren't you?

Actually, most post-war Superman stories were soap opera or sitcom!