Thursday, June 02, 2005

Halo asks for your lack of hate


halo
Originally uploaded by Scipio1.
Um, I'm "Halo" and I'm kinda the last person in the Comeback Poll. Please don't hate me.

Uh, my origin's sorta...complicated. But it involves ancient energy beings with an unlikely pun for a name ("The Aurakles"? Didn't they open for the Beatles?), Tobias Whale, Baron Bedlam, Jason Bard, Dr. Moon, Syonide, Kobra, the King of Markovia, and multiple body switching. As for my powers, er, just think of me as the Rainbow Raider's little sister.

Do you like the rainbow action in my hair and my I-don't-sweat-I-glow aura? I think they were supposed to appeal to the 'girls aged 10-13' demographic. Oh, and I have an "anomalous brainwave pattern", at least, that's what polite people call it.

I'm sorry, I forgot to introduce myself! My real name is Gabrielle Doe. And Violet Harper. And Melissa Brown. Whichever; I'll answer to hey-you, actually. My codename "Halo", well, Batman gave that to me when he found me unconscious in the middle of a forest in an Eastern European principality. Batman's like that. Always wandering around the world, finding wounded strays, anthropomorphizing them with cute names, and taking them home to show Alfred. "This is my little bird with broken parents, I named him Robin; I found this nasty rat in an alley, I call him Jason; this rabid racoon with busted language skills I call Batgirl 'cuz she doesn't need a real name."

I'm, uh, I'm also kinda the reason Batman left the JLA. So I guess I'm the proximate cause of the breakup of the classic JLA, and the creation of the Detroit League and the Giffen League.

Oh. Please don't hate me...

11 comments:

Johnny Bacardi said...

I don't hate you, Halo. Now c'mere.

Scipio said...

*Shudder*!

Jhunt said...

I can't hate any female character who was drawn by Alan Davis for a significant portion of her series. It's sad really.

Anonymous said...

Mike Barr really seems to have had a thing for convoluted origins in that series. Look at her teammate Looker--she's the descendant of the royal family of an underground civilization who's mutated by a meteor and then becomes a--I'm not kidding here--"pseudo-vampire."

Scipio said...

Barr was responsible for some of the stupidest characters of all times, most of them based simply on stupid names.

But that's probably best left for a new post entirely...

Martin Wisse said...

I don't care what you say, I still liked the Outsiders.

Though I kinda wish Jim Aparo hadn't drawn so many of the comics, as his style was in no way suited to the dayglo colouring used in those Baxter issues.

Johann said...

I loved the Giffen League!
(best league evar. Morrison is a good second hehe)

Hate Filled Poster said...

This post makes me sad. Sad is bad.

Anonymous said...

I never read the Outsiders (limited money back then), but was a regular reader of Secret Origins. I remember reading her SO tale and having almost no interest in the character afterwards. There were some interesting ideas there, but it was just a mess of story. After it was done I couldn't say that I liked, disliked, or wanted to know any of the characters, whether it was Halo, her family, Looker, or the Aurakle thingies. I don't know if it was a satisfying story for regular Ousider readers, but I thought it was a poor effort to get new readers interested in the series.

Anonymous said...

I always kind of liked Halo and the Outsiders and all that. Okay, Looker was stupid, but Katana and the whole "Lungbucket Brigade" always held a morbid place in my then 12 year old heart.

Anonymous said...

The letters pages were their best things. Jef Packham started the bucketlung brigade.