Saturday, January 03, 2009

Prison Break

Well, as some of you already know, I'm laid low by food poisoning, which is, to say the least, slowing me down a bit.

Fortunately, this has happened after New Year's festivities, like this one where you can hear me singing the hanger very very loudly. Yeesh, what a big mouth. And, yes, I sound better when I'm sober.

One of first delights I've been able to enjoy (other than the ability to lay on my side rather than face down) has been to watch the most recent episode of the excellent Batman: Brave and the Bold series, titled "Day of the Dark Knight". In it, there's a scene where Batman and Green Arrow, notoriously competitive with each other, are foiling a prison break together and trying to take down as many escapees as quickly as possible.

For a second, I didn't get it: since when do prisoners get to wear hats? Then I understood, almost all the prisoners were supercriminals from the 1960s live-action Batman series (with a few from previous episodes of Brave and the Bold)

I spotted:

Shane
Egghead
King Tut
The Minstrel
The Mad Hatter
Ma Barker
False Face
Louie the Lilac
Shame
Clock King
The Black Widow
Marsha, Queen of Diamonds
The Siren
Bookworm
Felix Faust
Kiteman

Now THAT made me feel better.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the fight first started, I thought I recognized Louis the Lilac and the Bookworm.
As it continued, the light went on and I just sat there with a big goofy grin. The Siren! Clock King's true face! and, my fave, King Tut!

Action figures, gentlemen! We want action figures of these guys
NOW!

Brian said...

I also loved when Batman got transformed into the Tangent Batman armor!

I was on the fence before the show started, now it makes me smile for the entire half hour...

SallyP said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who wondered why they all had their original hats.

On the other hand, I am very sorry to hear that you are under the weather, and I hope that you recuperate SOON!

And...and Guy Gardner showed up in the cartoon! Crazy Guy! I loved it.

Anonymous said...

So where was the Archer?? Sheee, whatta grouch!!

argh.sims said...

Get well, Scipio! I hope some comics made you smile through your discomfort this week.

Brushwood said...

Food sucks when it eats you instead, yes.

Gene Phillips said...

I think I did see some guy with an Archer/Robin Hood hat. I would've been just as glad not to, since clearly the Archer is the worst of the 60s made-for-the-show villains.

(And if that doesn't start an argument nothing will)

Anonymous said...

Ask and ye shall receive, Gene. Clearly the worst of the made-for-the-show villains was Dr. Cassandra Spellcraft!!

I'm not sure whether the guy with the feather in his hat was supposed to be the Archer or the Minstrel.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and for the record, Xanadude, we've seen Clock King's true face before; in the final panel of his inaugural story, in World's Finest Comics #111. And in this episode it was drawn accurately (something I can't say for Justice League Europe!)

Gene Phillips said...

TotalToyz,
Drat, I forgot her, so you win that one.

I was all prepared to start a spirited defense of Minerva, too...

Anonymous said...

Gene, by all means, do. I'd love to hear how you could possibly defend Minerva. Dahlink.