Monday, January 12, 2009

Pep 2: Yellow Rain versus Yellow Peril

I told you yellow was the Shield's favorite color.

There aren't a lot of "golden showers" themed covers; this is one of the best. Love the Shield's "I got a whole keg here, so I can do this all night, boys" pose.

It's not just the obviousness of the imagery, it's using the subtle yellow sky and title to reinforce that's so impressive.


The fetid stew of man-limbs, like some sort of EC grotesque, contributes as well. Truly this cover is the fuel of nightmares. Or the kernel some boy's lifelong fetish.

It would have been nice if this had become a running theme for the Shield, kind of like bondage was for Wonder Woman. A fun challenge for the writers to work it into every story: "The hydrants are useless! The Moscovians have halted the reservoir... but they didn't count on me hooking up a fire hose to this lemonade truck!"

7 comments:

SallyP said...

I've heard of shooting fish in a barrel, but this is taking things to a ridiculous level!

I do enjoy the arched back pose of the Shield however, not to mention the unholy glee he is experiencing.

Sea-of-Green said...

So, theoretically, back in the day, the Shield could have taken on the ENTIRE Green Lantern Corps.

Awesome. :-)

Unknown said...

Mr Sea mentioned Shield's advantage over the ENTIRE GLC. However, back in the day, the weakness was wood. Therefore, Shield would have had to have been handling wood in a particularly adventagous manner. I don't know how that would work.

Tony Z™ said...

This is wrong on so many levels. And yet...I love it so!!

Scipio, you're a bad, bad man.

Sea-of-Green said...

Ooooh, sorry, Ray -- I'm a MS., not a Mr. :-)

Golden-Age GL Alan Scott has never been a member of the Green Lantern CORPS, so I say my argument still stands. ;-)

Scipio said...

The Shield brings new meaning to the phrase "Golden Age". Steaming, salty meaning.

Phillip said...

Ha! I saw this cover in Jules Feiffer's The Great Comic Book Heroes and I just knew it couldn't have escaped your attention.