Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Things That Made Me Happy...

in my comics this week.


  • Okay, bravo; whoever came up with that solution deserves a Leslie Thompkins Humitarian Award! Elegant. In character. Explanatory!
  • "Why don't you call it the Star Chamber?" He really does have a good sense of humor, you know.
  • How fabulous is spooky new Sandy "Sandman" Hawkins? Very.
  • "It doesn't matter; we always show the victim's family."
  • His last name is Miller? How perfectly generic and delightfully unspectacular!
  • The Faust Family photo.
  • Zowie, that Dexter Bennet's a corker; at least JJJ was an HONEST bastard.
  • I have to admit these are very interesting new versions of the Fourthworlders... .
  • John Stewart designed that "room"? LOL, how many seconds did that take?!
  • Giant metal banana.
  • So I assume that strip joint used to be the old Central City Community Theater...? It would explain a lot.
  • Why the jar can't be opened; now that's comic book irony.
  • "She really loved that tray." Is Spider-Man becoming one of my favorite books, and does this signal the end of the world?
  • Lightning's battle cry; wish I'd thought of it first! It's almost as good as "This is going to be oomphy!"
  • Batman cheering up Superman by visiting him in jail.
  • "My toof!"
  • Catwoman gets back to business without missing a beat, thanks to Pfeiffer.
  • Paparazzo Parker; clever idea.
  • The Redbird; now, why didn't I think of that?
  • "Is that a euphemism?" made me laugh out loud.
  • Okay, seeing Wonder Woman's head on Aquaman's body is darned disturbing.
  • Good bless you, zany Tom Peyer, for making Flash not only readable but wacky fun.
  • The Penguin's meta-commentary.
  • Clever use of Lichtenstein, Mr. Slott.
  • Yeah, I'd be hesitant to admit I'd been fighting Mr. Polka Dot, too.
  • Best. Finger-puppets. Ever.
  • "Somebody flattened her." Snort!
  • Thank you, Dwayne, for writing a conversation between the Big Three that actually sounds like a conversation between the Big Three.
  • "You only need to make him scream, Dad; I'll handle the rest." Oh, you naughty, naughty man!
  • The new Snapper Carr.
  • If getting their butts handed to them by the Human Flame doesn't prove Red Arrow and Hawkgirl don't belong in the League, I don't know what could.
  • Even I am impressed by a slash page that quotes both Williams Shakespeare and Charles Schulz.
  • If those kids don't get codenames soon, I'm going to have to assume they're going to die soon.
  • Paper Doll; great villain.
  • Granny Goodness discovers a new mode of transportation, including its disadvantages.
  • Sigh; if only he'd pour himself down MY throat... .
  • Even Batman has to smile at the fact that, well, Batman's not stupid.
  • The Flash's winter jacket.
  • The Godmobile.
  • Felix's sign; no home should be without one.
  • She's reading "Faust"? Isn't that a little over the top, even for them?
  • "Let me give you my six secrets of survival!"
  • The Human Flame making a fool out of Lex Luthor.
  • Oh, and for those of you who don't already know it: Athena's eyes are famously grey, not green.

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

If those kids don't get codenames soon, I'm going to have to assume they're going to die soon.

Assuming your talking about the West twins, I believe they are Kid Flash and Impulse.

Scipio said...

Have you heard anyone actually all them that in the comics...!?

Anonymous said...

Please consider a further (weekly) post that cites which comics are associated with Things That Made You Happy.

I'm frequently tickled, and would love to pick you the associated story...

Anonymous said...

JLA #21 came out this week? DC's website said it wasn't coming out until next week. Guess I'll have to up my timetable on putting my Human Flame custom clix on eBay!

Mr. Polka-Dot is back?? Groovy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/94028541@N00/2024687407/in/set-72157603814349270/

Ms. P said...

Gadzooks! I haven't even gotten my comics yet, but you, Sir, have picqued my interest. I AM intrigued.

Tony said...

>Even I am impressed by a slash page that quotes both Williams Shakespeare and Charles Schulz.

Slash page? This isn't some Hamlet/Charlie Brown slash fiction, is it?

Anonymous said...

If getting their butts handed to them by the Human Flame doesn't prove Red Arrow and Hawkgirl don't belong in the League, I don't know what could.

Hey, anyone can have an off day. Remember, it took Aquaman a full six pages to stop the Electric Man (using Sweet Octopus Love, naturally).

Anonymous said...

Have you heard anyone actually all them that in the comics...!?

Well, I dropped Flash about three issues into Waid's new run, so I can't say if they were called that afterwards. But in the beginning, I believe they were, but it may only have been in caption boxes.

ASK said...

# Oh, and for those of you who don't already know it: Athena's eyes are famously grey, not green.

And cow-like too, but trying drawing that.

The Shadow said...

Does anyone know where I can see an image of the updated Human Flame? Nobody's bothered to give him a Wikipedia page.

Unknown said...

It amazes me that Grant Morrison looked for an old J'onn J'onnz villain to bring back and didn't settle on the Human Squirrel.

What is the first item in the list referring to?

Scipio said...

The first item is from this week's issue of Robin

Anonymous said...

I believe it was Hera who had the bovine eyes, not Athena.

Anonymous said...

Yep. "Ox-eyed Hera" Homer calls her...although some scholars believe the original epithet was "cow-faced". :-p

This isn't some Hamlet/Charlie Brown slash fiction, is it?

Don't be silly...everybody knows about Hamlet and Horatio: http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/31/hamlet.html

I'm sure Charlie would never butt in.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know where I can see an image of the updated Human Flame?

Well, here's one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/94028541@N00/2512887750/

Unknown said...

Fourthworlders and Granny Goodness? Where were they this week?!?

Jacob T. Levy said...

Hm. Sounds like I may have to go back to the shop for Robin-- even though it was already a *very( heavy week.

Scipio said...

They were in Birds of Prey. Well, street level versions of them, at least.

And, yeah, you probably do NOT want to miss Robin this week.

Diamondrock said...

Funny, I just sort of assumed that his last name was "Miller." I don't know why, but it just sort of fell into place.

Still, poor Mike. Sounds like Joey left him...

Anonymous said...

Aren't the street level Fourthworlders from the Mister Miracle Seven Soldiers mini?

Also given how you weren't filled with a vindictive joy this week, I'm guessing you didn't read Dream War? You really should, or at least the 21st page of it.

You'll smile.

Mathias said...

You're not the only one swooning over the current Spidey series. I'm a 25 year die-hard DC fan, but DC sure is trying it's hardest to make my interest die. BND is one of the best written titles out there, and everything fits together so well. Nothing is forced. JLA and the secret room floating in space that you teleport to from the front of the Hall of Justice...okay, I felt my IQ drop six points just writing that sentence.

dannyagogo said...

Thanks for mentioning Obsidian twice this week. I *heart* Obsidian.

SallyP said...

Man, Obsidian is badass when he wants to be! And Sandy actually did something!

JLoA WAS good. It's nice that the editors actually let Mr. McDuffie do what he is supposed to...which is come up with a good story. Plus the Human Flame sassed Lex Luthor...and LIVED!

But yes, there were plenty of lovely moments this week.

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to think Libra is a pretty all right guy: saving Mike, offering payback against JJ, even trying to obscure his sexual orientation so that he'll be accepted. Though I think Libra was trying a bit too hard with that one part: "As a criminal. As a husband. As a father. As a man who is totally about having sex with women, and their vaginas."

Your Obedient Serpent said...

Mike didn't just make a fool of Lex; he OWNED most of the room with that comment. C'mon, look at who followed it up with "He has a point." That wasn't just the JLU-inspired rivalry talking; Grodd was stingin' just as hard from that.

I think that one line got Mike a whole lot of respect from some heavy hitters.

As the kids today say, "Oh SNAP."

Anonymous said...

But doesn't it just mean that he never got up the stones to make another try at the Martian Manhunter, even after his fire weakness became public knowledge?

Anonymous said...

I had TotalToyz make a Mister Polka-Dot conversion for me recently. I used it in my last big HeroClix battle. Mister P-D spent most of his time getting shot in the back by Ganthet and Rip Hunter. Not the most auspicious return to the annals of crime!

Anonymous said...

Good to see you here on the boards, Steve!

Scipio, remember when we met at your store not long ago, and I said I had a regular customer whose choices were so obscure they made Joe Coyne the Penny Plunderer look A-list? This is he!

Anonymous said...

I really don't see why anyone would think that the Purple Zombie or Nelvana of the Northern Lights or the Vagabond are obscure choices. And they'll be even more famous when their current battle with the Anti-Monitor is resolved!

Unknown said...

Wait a minute. There really is a Mister Polka Dot?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely! Mister Polka Dot debuted in Detective Comics #300 way back in February 1962. He would pull polka dots off his costume and throw them at his foes to create various effects, mostly explosive. He could also turn one of his polka dots into a flying platform.

Anonymous said...

Did the last issue of Salvation Run ever come out?

Scipio said...

No; it has been delayed.

Nate said...

Yay! You're reading Herc. I new you'd dig it

Derek said...

Wow, you post these too fast, Scipio. I've only just now finished reading this week's comics.

"'It doesn't matter; we always show the victim's family.'"

You think Roy Raymond Jr. might actually help save the day?

There was a lot of Things that I didn't recognize this week, but apparently I missed the new Super Friends comic. I imagine they're from there.

Anonymous said...

I love Hercules too...I'm going to have to pick up the trade of the first storyline! It reminds me a little of the old Bob Layton stories...big sweeping grandeur with a little bit of humour thrown in. Finally, someone figured out what to do with Hercules!

Those Skrull gods look awesome! Can't wait to see some of the lesser dieties.

MaGnUs said...

I guessed the same about the strip joint.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe you missed one of the funniest Watchmen references ever in Marvel Adventures Avengers

Scipio said...

"in Marvel Adventures Avengers"
I can.