Saturday, May 24, 2008

Pistolfist

Consider asking your local comic book store to try PISTOLFIST from BlueWater Comics; we're trying it here at Big Monkey.




It's about a runaway slave in early America who dons a mask to fight for freedom. And, c'mon; you can't beat Benjamin Franklin as a supporting cast member: "I caution you again, sir, do not address me as 'Chief'!"

Pistolfist #1
Author(s): J.S. Earl and David A. Flanary, Jr
Artist(s) Andres Guinaldo
Cover Artist(s): 2 covers: Joel Robinson and Mario Gully

How precious is your freedom? Would you fight for it? Would you dare to die for it? Set amidst the American Revolution, this critically-acclaimed series follows the saga of a mysterious, masked runaway slave whose destiny is helplessly entwined with that of a famous, yet frail, Benjamin Franklin. Inspired by true characters and events, you’ll soon discover why fans and fellow creators alike have chosen to “rev it up!


Oh, and for those of you who are budding costume designers (Hi, Jeremy!), there's a contest to design a costume for a modern day version of the character. Oh, make sure it has pilgrim shoes; I just love the pilgrim shoes.

7 comments:

SallyP said...

Hmmmm...while it certainly sounds intriguing, I'm a bit put off by the cover. People, they did NOT have long dusters in the late 1700's. A caped greatcoat or rendingote perhaps. He should also be wearing a hat. And a hook would have been a more useful appendage than a pistol. How can he reload it one handed?

Sorry, sorry. I just finished reading David McCullough's "John Adams" and I'm full of this stuff.

Anonymous said...

I'm usually not a big fan of historical fiction, especially in comic books. But this looks completely and totally awesome. Makes me wish I had a comic book shop nearby. *le sigh*

Anonymous said...

If you're not sure you want to take the plunge on this, I recommend you check it out for free on Wowio.com. It's a pretty neat story, and I'm all for original superhero output from indie publishers.

Stephen said...

wow that sounds untra cool

SallyP said...

I have to admit that the buckled shoes are a nice touch.

MaGnUs said...

His fist is a pistol? Oh, I'm sure Blockade Boy loves this! :P

Anonymous said...

Looks like somebody ripped of Jim Valentino's "Handgun" character.

I don't know which is worse... that somebody would rip off such a lame idea, or that two different creators could independently imagine such a lame idea--that they liked so much they'd put thousands of dollars into it.