Saturday, July 28, 2012

Borrowed Penthouse Apartment

"May I see you home to that borrowed penthouse apartment?" So said suave Bruce Wayne to the Russian journalist Kitanya Irenya Titanya Karenska Alissov of the Moscow Bugle (who was, in fact... the Catwoman in disguise!) in the 1968 film, Batman.

"It's all I can do not to burst out laughing in your face; I just can't believe you're falling for my 'Russian journalist' schtick.  You obviously must have inherited your money, Brucie, because you're as dumb as a box of rocks."


Ah, the penthouse apartment.  It's a staple in comic books. Why, Bruce Wayne himself lived in one himself during the swinging '70s.


Groovy.  
A horrendous waste of space, pedestrian unfriendly, and structurally irresponsible. 
But still groovy.


So, with lots of new Heroclix figures likes Bruce Waynes, and Tony Starks, and Miranda Tates coming out, I thought it was high-time someone (me) produced a rooftop penthouse map...





And so I did.

Using Batman's methods as my inspiration, I created this map exactly the way he would: by cheating. After several unsatisfactory attempts to design one myself, I finally started searching for penthouse blueprints and found a 3D rendering that suited my purposes perfectly.  All I did was add the terrain markings (walls and hindering) to clarify the game play and voila.

Doors block any diagonal lines of fire; windows can be destroyed by an attack that does two clicks of damage and their destruction does not create any hindering terrain (like the rubble caused when walls are destroyed).   And for you fans of Aquaman and aquatherapy, there's a built-in hot tub for one square of water terrain.

Honestly, I feel this is one of my most attractive maps ever.  Mostly because I didn't draw it.






2 comments:

SallyP said...

My, that IS quite snazzy!

Carla said...

My god! That penthouse reminds me to the boardgame "Clue" in which you had a mansion where a murder had occurred and you had many many rooms where it could actually have happened, and the purpose was to find out who, how and where it had been. Last year I travelled to Argentina and booked an apartment for rent in buenos aires before travelling. I had been told it as big but I never imagined what I saw afterwards. It was a real mansion, with 5 bathrooms, 8 bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, a terrace, a balcony, a playroom, a guests room, and more. I was surprised in a good way I must admit!