To my surprise (and probably yours), I like HBO's "Lanterns" series.
I will start off by happily admitting that there are aspects of it I do not like, rooted in the foibles of its creators (Damon Lindenof's loose plotting and time wasting, James Gunn's simplistic and irreverent dialog, and Tom King's obsession with trauma and general sourness). But these failures of style have not blinded me to its successes of substance.
- The original relationship between Hal Jordan (as mentor) and John Stewart (as back-up) is central.
- The core lore is preserved. The Oans, The Sciencells, The Corps, Sinestro, The Manhunters. In the first two episodes. I mean, what more do you want?
- Hal Jordan (although not ideally cast) is somehow both a reckless idiot, but still a fearless and innovative hero who instinctively cuts to the heart of the matter.
And there is another element that I think people are overlooking. One that some see as a downside, but which is actually the secret to the show's success so far:
It's completely the wrong genre.
Before I explore that, I'm going to discuss (again) "The Superman Problem". One of the problems with Superman is that he is SO darned powerful that it's hard to come up with a credible threat. But pre-Bronze Age writers knew exactly how to handle that: they gave him problems that couldn't be solved with force. The Prankster; The Toyman; Mr. Myxyzptlk; Bizarro; secret identity problems; red kryptonite shenanigans; Lois's schemes. These are not challenges that Superman could simply punch his way out of.
![]() |
| Lois is a problem easily solved through simple inaction. |
Lots of people make fun of these old Supeman stories, but they are missng their genius. Stopping a locomotive is a snap compared to hiding your use of your awesome array of superpowers when you are in your civilian identity and constantly surrounded by scoop-hungry reporters.
![]() |
| WHAT WILL HE DO?! |
This is all very obvious in Superman's case, but there examples with other heroes as well.
![]() |
| For example, as I have mentioned before, Hawkman's main tactic is hitting things with a mace, so writers gave him "unhittable" foes like the Shadow Thief, the Gentlemen Ghost, and the Fadeaway Man. |
"Lanterns" seems to have learned the lessons of "The Superman Problem". It's not switching genres from space opera to detective story randomly. Not is it doing so because it's "embarrassed" at Green Lanter's space opera roots (I mean, Hal suits up and flies off to Oa to visit Sinestro in the SECOND episode). "Lanterns" has dumped two GLs in the middle of a detective story because they can't just "power ring" their way out of it. Sure, it's a detective story with aliens, bu it's still very much not a situation where a power ring is going to accomplish much. So far, that's giving Hal and John a substantial challenge (one which they seem to still be struggling with after ten years).
And, one which I am -- so far -- enjoying.



10 comments:
This speaks to a philosophical difference they had in figuring out how to write GL stories 30-40 years ago: are the stories about the ring, or is the ring just the tool that allows Hal / John / whoever to operate in whatever setting? In "Far Sector", they went with that second route, and leaned into it so heavily that Jo Mullein was given a low-power ring that couldn't do much of anything except let her perform detective duties in a setting where humans couldn't normally operate.
And I find that most good GL stories operate like that. I stopped being amazed at the things a GL ring can do back in the early 70s when I was but a wee anonymous child. I want to see my GLs come up with a clever idea that the ring allows them to execute, not just keep firing green toilet plungers at a target until it falls.
- HJF1
I stopped being amazed at the things a GL ring could do when one accidentally turned Thom Kalmaku into a sentient seagull.
I'm in general agreement with you (though I like Kyle Chandler as Hal). I'm less thrilled with John Stewart's "origin" -- that smells way too much like Tom King for me, and I have a LOT of issues with the specifics. Not gonna go into detail because of spoilers, but yeah, LOT of issues. One thing I am absurdly pleased with is how much Aaron Pierre looks like the animated Justice League version of John. Even my wife (who does not share my obsessive love of the DC Animated Universe) immediately noted the resemblance as we watched the first episode.
I still miss John Stewart the architect. It was the DCAU that turned John into a Marine (but NOT an architect), and it not only set a bad tone for John (IMHO), it also got people thinking of the GLC as more a military force than a team of police / emergency service / Old West marshal types. Now Hal has a USAF history, and even Guy has a disgraced police officer backstory. (Though in Guy's case it actually kind of works.)
And the root of it, I'm convinced, is that the DCAU guys didn't believe in a John Stewart who was a quiet contemplative architect. He's a Black man? Has to be a tough guy, let's make him a Marine drill sergeant. I've heard that the DCAU guys felt they needed a drill sergeant type and therefore they had no choice but to do it to John, but come on, Hawkgirl is right there and they could have used her a lot better in that capacity. Would have made a good contrast against John as well, who didn't believe in bullying people into cooperating, but instead tried to build the structures where they fit in.
Anyway, now that the GLC has been dragged away from what is IMHO its proper role (police / emergency services / Old West marshals), it makes room for an even new more deranged backstory for John. Good job, everyone this century. You should have put me in charge.
- HJF1
"I still miss John Stewart the architect." Hear, hear. However, I must say, if you read John Stewart as he originally appeared in the '70s, he was ANYTHING but quiet and contemplative.
Yeah, all the subtlety Denny O'Neill could bring to bear. Bonus points for Hal being the submissive stooge that Denny's mouthpiece characters could yell at.
Two things the O'Neill era taught me: Ollie has the super power of MLK Jr / RFK projection, and a brain-damaged test pilot is the best candidate to sort out renter / tenant obligations.
- HJF1
That Lois sequence you posted is why Jimmy has a signal watch and Lois doesn't.
Finally watching "Lanterns", and I like it. It's got little to do with the GL mythos though; it's just a good story.
As literal Hal Jordan Fan #1, I disagree with how they're handling Hal, as in it doesn't match what I consider to be the Platonic ideal that everything else is just a poor shadow of. However, it is at least an internally consistent take on Hal, as in he comes across as a believable person; he is obviously heavily flawed, but in ways that make sense given what his strengths are. It strikes me that he's been living in a way that is wrong for him for a very long time, and he's so far removed from what he "should" be that he can't even tell any longer.
John as well, except he seems to understand better that his life has been a nightmare and he's trying to decide what he should be doing with his life.
A lot has not been revealed yet, so an observation and a guess: Hal keeps that ring on an absurdly low charge, and I say it's intentional. Like, he did something bad with it when it was fully charged, and he's not letting that happen again.
- HJF1
"Hal keeps that ring on an absurdly low charge, and I say it's intentional. " Interesting observation; I had not noticed that.
It's almost narrative necessity: if the ring is fully charged, why not use the hell out of it? It would certainly open some doors for Hal, sometimes literally.
Same thing in the acclaimed "Far Sector" comic, where Jo Mullein's ring worked differently and it didn't have the raw power or the charge of an ordinary ring. That required her to use her police abilities 99% of the time, and the ring just basically allowed her to function in an alien environment.
But of course, if Hal is keeping his ring on minimal charge, that requires its own explanation. I also didn't buy Hal's "necktie" explanation for why he doesn't wear the uniform; that's the sort of answer you give people so they've gotten an answer, but that's not the REAL answer.
- HJF1
Post a Comment