- Robin fighting on a giant bowling ball.
- Learning that Batman actually trained Robin to fight on a giant bowling ball.
- I think Jason Todd may have finally found where he belongs.
- "I'm Donna Troy, bitch." For whatever criticisms you might have about Countdown, it did the impossible: taught me to love Donna Troy.
- Just as it did during Amazons Attack, Catwoman gives us the best story from an outside crossover (Salvation Run). I pooh-poohed Salvation Run when I first heard of it, but I picked up issue 3 and really liked it. And the characteristization of the two group's leaders (Luthor the Mad Scientist versus Joker the Shrewd Opportunist) was spot-on.
- "Blockbuster". Now THAT makes a lot of sense, and that's the kind of thing that character should be doing all the time.
- Good to see Blue & Gold together again.
- Lex Luthor making an energy detector out of cell phone in the time it takes two people to have a fight. I've missed that Lex Luthor.
- So... is Barbara Gordon re-making Misfit into Batgirl, in her own image? Interesting... .
- Oh my god. A woman with brown eyes. In a comic book!
- The Return of Killer Shark, and he wants Zinda back. Zowie! Didn't see that one coming!
- Speaking of Killer Shark.... Best. Ship. Ever.
- I found myself wondering how Validus can "sniff" anything without a nose for a full minute before remembering that he also sees without having any eyes.
- I thankful to be reminded and confirmed by the Countdown Special reprinting Kirby's New God stories, that, yes, I really do hate all that stuff. A lot. Still.
- Tattooed Man's octopus. Sweet, sweet octopus.
- Best Abbey Road reference I've ever seen (at least, in a comic book).
- Hey, Doctor Polaris is back!
- This "NonDead Ted" thing is going to be the most horribly tragic Best Intentions Gone Wrong story in collective comic book memory.
- Wonder Woman seeing nothing intrinsically wrong with Salvation Run. But, of course; her people created Reformation Island.
- A most unusual request for sanctuary!
- Good lord; Vixen, Roy, and Hal... all using their brains!
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Things That Made Me Happy
in my comics this week.