Saturday, July 08, 2023

Irony is Dead.

I would love to blame Marvel for this.


But I can't.  

5 Reasons Captain America is still looking for Mrs. Steve Rogers
Because, deep-down and sometimes NOT so deep down, Marvel gets the joke.  
Stan Lee pretty much invented not taking comics books too seriously, while convincing others to.
Other people think of him as The Man Who Created the MCU.
I know him as The Man Who Created "Who Wanz Ta Be a Soopuh-Heerow".

No, Marvel is not to blame, really. It's their corporate overlords, Disney.

Walt Disney's Frozen Head (And Other Debunked Myths)
Media Organization Designed Only for Commercializing Cultural Content

Disney, creator of the Golden Calf that is Mickey Mouse, is the foe of critical or even analytical thought.  At least on the part of consumers.  So naturally all they needed to hear was the phrase "Rogers: The Musical" from the film Hawkeye to send them RUNNING to their pap-factories to churn out in earnest the very kind of thing Marvel films make fun of.  

Thir13en Ghosts 2001 dub HDRip scarabey org cut cut - YouTube
Those pap-factories are powered by the trapped, suffering ghosts of The Sherman Brothers (or, as the Black Zodiac calls them, The Wailing Twins).

Well, at least it's better than "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark", I suppose.

If nothing else, it will probably maim fewer people.


But I sincerely hope DC is inoculated against such nonsense forever by, all things, Batman Beyond.




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What ill-conceived story arc or miniseries or event would you like to see commemorated in a musical? My pick is "All-Star Batman and Robin".

- HJF1

Scipio said...

Well.... none. But I'll reinterpret that as "What story was so ill-conceived that making into a musical could do it no harm?" To which, my first thought would be Superman's Hunchbacked Brother.

Anonymous said...

Haha, you understood my intentions and you delivered! Would add that Batman had a secret insane brother (Thomas Wayne Jr) from a Bob Haney story, and maybe there'd be room for him in your musical?

- HJF1

Scipio said...

THAT was my SECOND choice. Deadman stopped me.

Bryan L said...

I don't know, Scipio. Yes, I remember the Batman Beyond episode. But I also remember Mayhem of the Music Meister from Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I'm surprised no one has staged that yet. And if they do, I'm not going to promise to not see it.

Scipio said...

"Mayhem of the Music Meister" isn't comparable AT ALL. For one thing, there has NEVER been a more self-aware Batman property than the animated Brave & the Bold. For another there was diegetic REASON for the musicality. That IS the plot.

MarkAndrew said...

Superhero musicals should work! Why don't superhero musicals work?! They've been trying to make a Captain America musical for, what? 40 years now?

Imitorar said...

I would definitely watch "Rogers: The Musical", but only if it were a very amateur fan production.

Scipio said...

"Why don't superhero musicals work?!"

Musicals are hard to take seriously. And Superheroes aren't suited to stage.

What would work would be superhero OPERA. But Americans are afraid of opera and instead go to see musicals with operatic pretensions instead.