Do you have "sure-sells"?
I think that most comic book buyers do and that it's not just me. Sure-sells are features of comic book story (usually just a single character) that instantly make you buy the issue.
Everyone will buy a comic with a crying gorilla riding a bicycle through a fire against a backround of purple. But each of us has his or her own weak points, features that make you buy a comic.
It's only a sure-sell if, once you know it's in the comic, you immediately say "put in my sub" without needing to know anything else.
I'm going to admit my sure-sells, but I expect you to admit yours in return!
1. Vibe. Hey, meng; wha' chu espect?
2. Orca the Whalewoman. She sells sure-sells by the seashore.
3. The Crime Doctor. Even if he weren't so darned colorful, the concept is instrinsically interesting.
4. Dr. Psycho. The ultimate personal violator; very creepy. Always has been. William Moulton Marston created a lot of sick stuff; nothing sicker than Dr. Psycho, though.
5. People forced into playing life-and-death games of chess (or the like). I pretend it's a "Seventh Seal" thing, but we all know it's really a Despero-versus-Barry thing.
6. Black Manta. He's cool.
7. Phantom Lady. If I were a drag queen, I'd be Phantom Lady.
8. Amazo. You say you won't buy it, but you will.
9. Anything with Krypto kicking supervillain ass because he couldn't care less what your name is or what your powers are and is happy to shake you by the neck until it snaps, as if you were some squeaky toy or a pesky squirrel.
10. Killer Moth. Not "Charaxes"; Killer Moth.
Okay; your turn!